Town Square Initiative
The Canton Main Street Program is launching a strategic planning process to help downtown reach the next level. Working with the Town Square Initiative, a specialized downtown team affiliated with the Texas Main Street Program at the Texas Historical Commission, Canton Main Street will develop a vision and downtown action plan throughout 2018. The plan will guide physical improvements in downtown as well as assist in the attraction of a sustainable mix of new uses to best serve local residents while enhancing the visitor experience.
The Town Square Initiative is an interdisciplinary team (architecture, planning and economic development) that focuses on the challenge of unoccupied and underutilized historic buildings in Texas downtowns. TSI selects one city each year for this planning service, providing project management for a downtown action plan to be adopted and implemented by the city. The team works collaboratively with local project partners and the community throughout the process and continues the partnership after plan development assisting with implementation of the action items.
Canton Downtown Action Plan Project Phases
1. ASSESSMENT: February-March
· Community survey
2. PUBLIC KICK-OFF: April
· Community survey ongoing
· Plan Kick-off Open House at the Farmers Market on Saturday, April 21, 8:00-Noon, TSI team presentation at 10:30 AM.
3. IMAGINING THE POSSIBILITIES: May-July
· Imagine the Possibilities Tour on Saturday, June 23, with property tour, retail pop-up, pocket park grand opening.
· Realize the Possibilities Workshop in July, Date TBA.
4. PLAN DEVELOPMENT: August-October
· Draft Plan Presentation, September, Date TBA.
5. IMPLEMENTATION: October +
Community participation is essential! Opinions are sought from all community members on your personal experience with downtown. There are opportunities to actively participate in each project phase.
Please take the community survey linked below and watch the Canton Main Street events pages for information on upcoming community activities.